Thursday, August 17, 2017

TO BANGS, OR NOT TO BANGS

Bangs or no bangs.

I'm at the crossroads yet again.  I like my hair long; I like my hair short; I'm not so fond of the in-between stage.  I am currently in the in-between stage.  Now, I have to make a decision whether or not to keep my bangs, which look a little better but are a royal pain in the ass to keep in place, or go with the grown-out bangs, which gives my face a look of eternal surprise but makes my hair a thirty-second adventure every morning.

To bangs, or not to bangs -- Is that even a question?

The original decision was simple when I let my hair go gray because my hair just kind of sat there on my head, all old and .... old.  With long gray hair, I looked like a crazy English teacher.  Okay, I'm sure you see the irony here.  So I chopped it all off.  Then I started growing it.  Then, I chopped it.  Then, I grew it out almost long enough to being able to make a pony-tail.

My stylist is the best.  She tolerates my hair-cutting-Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde personality.  Whatever length it is, she makes it look fabulous.  Of course, I cannot recreate the looks because I am hair-challenged, but she is patient to near madness.  Finally, I said to her, "Cut it.  If you cut it the way I want, you can color it any way you choose."

Well, she colored it soooooo well that now I HAVE to grow it out because it looks and feels FABULOUS.  (Besides, the older I get, the more I look like my mother when my hair is short.  This is not a compliment.  This is a reality I need to accept.)  My stylist is totally convinced that my bangs can be side-swept.  I have tried this before many times.  When the stylist does this to my hair, it looks marvelous; when I do it, I resemble Twiggy after a week-long bender.

Anyway, I guess it will be a big surprise to us all.  Yesterday, I had no bangs and pulled them all off my face with a headband.  The day before, I had bangs.  When I have bangs, the look accentuates my eyes but the bangs don't behave.  When I pull my bangs back, people can see the widow's peak hairline that resembles Bela Lugosi in Dracula

Either way, I cannot win, and I cannot lose.  My hair isn't gray anymore, and I don't look so much like my mother anymore; it's got to be all good from there.