Wednesday, February 22, 2017

TREKKING THE FARM

Snowshoeing again today.  Another perfect spring day invades winter as my school break extravaganza continues.  I drive to Maine for a day of lazy, crazy sisterly activities with the sibling I had to share a room with for seven years.

My Maine sister lives about two miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean, maybe less.  I have walked a 5k along the beach near her house, and we have paddled kayaks out through the inlet and into the mouth of the ocean.  Near to her house is a reserve in Wells, Maine, called Laudholm Farm.  This is a natural estuarine research reserve that spans 2, 250 acres, and boasts seven-or-so miles of interlooping trails that lead through the woods, to the salt marshes, to the ocean, and to each other.

Today we trek to one salt marsh and to the ocean.  The sky is bright blue, and the sun is strong.  We cover half of the trails before we decide to conquer the main field with its rolling sledding slope.  Cutting a trail across open land, the only things behind us are the crusty trails, beaten down by overzealous winter people, and our snowshoe prints in the snow from our off-trail exploration.

Spring can come, or Spring can go.  I wouldn't mind more snow this season, and I wouldn't mind some warmth. either -- snow to make the snowshoe trip possible, and warmth to make it spectacular.