Tuesday, February 7, 2017

LEFTOVER FOOTBALL SNACK FOODS

Oh. My. God. That. Super. Bowl. Game.

I spend the entire fourth quarter not watching but watching the game.  Every time I watch the Patriots' possessions, they do something stupid, unbelievable, awful, or they are simply outplayed.  Yet, if I look down at the computer or away during a possession, fantastic things occur.  So, I spend the entire fourth quarter watching my son watch the game during Patriots' possessions.  His reactions let me know if I should look . . . or not.

Needless to say, my son and I have neither the strength of character nor the ability to break away from the game in order to make more Super Bowl snacks.  Oh, we eat plenty well: pot roast with veggies followed by fresh guacamole and chips.  But, that isn't the menu.  The menu includes smaller versions of honey barbecue calzone and teriyaki chicken calzone.

Rather than waste the calzone on a game that gives us both agida, I save the meal for this evening.  I use canned biscuits and canned crescent rolls for my chicken experiment.  No, I've never made these before.  As I prep the dough for my crazy and completely unplanned chef experiment, I watch the Patriots land at Logan Airport and hop on to buses to make their way back to Gillette Stadium.

I roll out the biscuits, one at a time, and fill each with honey BBQ chicken,  I fold each one carefully, crimp the edges with a fork, and top each with a milk wash.  I did not buy extra biscuits, but I did buy crescent rolls, so I jury-rig those for the teriyaki chicken.

The mini-calzones are delicious.  Next time I might try adding cheese or scallions or honey mustard.  Maybe I'll try ground beef taco-style mini-calzones or steak tip calzones.  Who knows?

After all, football season is over, and baseball season is just inches away.  Might as well experiment.