Thursday, February 16, 2017

COME ON, BREAK

I cannot wait for school break.

Many schools get their break in March -- some for one week and some for two.  In Massachusetts, we take a week in February and a week in April.  (Technically it's eight school days not ten because of holidays.)  There are two important things people need to understand:

#1. We need the break because kids are puking all over the place.  Just last week we had three pukers in the hallway and bathroom across from my room.  Not a single one of them made it to the actual toilet without a splash or two or five of explosive stall and floor decorating.  The teachers are dropping like dead flies, as well.  We all need breaks from each other and the never-ending germ exchange.

#2. We don't get paid for these days off.  Nope.  Teachers do not have paid vacations nor paid snow days.  Well, private school teachers do get paid snow days, but that's not my concern.  I do not get paid for those days.  They are unpaid leaves.  We only get paid for the days under our contract, 184, and we work every damn one of them.  Period.

I am so ready.  I need to get away from germs and stench and coughing and bleach wipes and the constant sound of gagging.  Come on, break.  One more day.  You can do it!  I can do it!  We can all do it!