Saturday, February 4, 2017

PATS DAYS

In honor of the upcoming Superbowl, Today is Patriots Day at work.  I'm running a little late this morning, but I still have time to grab the #12 Brady jersey from the closet.  I throw it on over a long-sleeved white shirt.

Something stops me from wearing it out the door.

I need this jersey for Sunday.  What if I spill today's salad dressing on it?  What if I get caught on something (like I frequently do) and rip the jersey like so many of my sweaters?  What if I get whiteboard marker on it?  What if ... what if ...

Even though I'm pressed for time, I change out of the jersey and put on a Patriots t-shirt instead.

Don't judge us sports fans.  Our superstitions run deep and are rooted in decade after decade of extreme sports-related disappointment.  If I want to spare my Patriots jersey, it's not your business.  It's nobody's business.

Hey, we've had some low times.  We've also had some great times.  The one thing about Boston sports fans that is absolutely true: We  recognize greatness.  If the Falcons take that honor, I hope we will be chivalrous in defeat.

Come on, though; it will be fun to watch Roger Goodell squirm, and I'll get to do it in a Brady jersey that is clean and washed and ready.  Let's hope the team is ready, as well.