Saturday, February 25, 2017

OCCASIONS OF FABULOUS WEATHER

Last official day of school break on Friday.  Sure, I still have Saturday and Sunday, but those are my usual days off, so those don't count "officially."  As usual, I have accomplished very little of what is on my list.

To be fair, the weather has been completely uncooperative.  When the February break first appears on paper, we plan for it being too cold to be outside, too snowy to fly, and too infectious a time period to voluntarily be around other humans.  This year, though, Mother Nature decides she's having a major hot flash, and by Wednesday, any snow we have is pretty much melted and gone.  Instead of being shut in, everybody is outside soaking up the sun and warmth.

So, my boring plan of getting work done while sitting at the kitchen table with the heat cranked up full blast also melts away.  I go to lunch in Cambridge; I go snowshoeing up in Maine wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt rather than a down parka; I walk several beaches and go out to lunch and to dessert, which is eaten with my feet on the dock railing while soaking up the sun.  I go for walks.  I open windows.  I get my car washed and then take it for an inspection sticker.  I sit outside reading.

It is the strangest February school break I have ever had.

Reality starts to set in, though.  I still have correcting to finish.  I did the difficult, time-consuming correcting earlier in the week, and things go very well.  By 8:00 p.m., I am done with it, or so I believe.  Turns out I mis-graded one paper at 5 points when it is supposed to be 10 points.  Minor challenge: I go through and grade them all again.  Even this goes smoothly.

If I don't cool it with this whole efficiency thing, I might actually get something meaningful accomplished before I go back to work on Monday.  There's no one to blame for my plight except Mother Nature; damn her and her occasions of fabulous weather.