Sunday, August 21, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK

Finally, the tasting for which I have been waiting weeks: Sauvignon Blancs from Around the World

I need white wines to fill the holes in my wine rack.  I have to be honest -- I really don't think I'll find anything that I like.  I'm thinking my palate is failing me because recently many of the whites taste bland to me, watery, flat, and uninteresting.  I've found a few that have come home with me, but more often than not, I'm dancing with the reds.

I approach today's tasting with a slight bit of trepidation.  If only I can find one sauv blanc to call my own, I will be happy.  I am pleased to report that there are four I am happy with but only three come home with me; the last one (#4) is on a list for when there's more room in the rack.

4.  Coming in at #4 is La Craie Pouilly Fume, a 2015 vintage from France.  This wine is fruity and very interesting.  It would be even more interesting with cheese.  The flavor is smoky, aromatic, and lasts on the palate in a good way.  At $17, this is the bottle I decide needs to stay at the store, but it will be visiting my house in the future.

3 and 2.  These two are a dead-on tie.  They do not taste alike per se, but they fall into the same drinkable category: fruity, crisp, and herbal.  These two are not overpowering and would make great porch-pounders, no food necessary to compliment the flavors.  At #3 is Pikorua Sauvignon Blanc, a New Zealand 2013 vintage at $12 a bottle.  #2 is the Indaba Sauvignon Blanc (2015) from South Africa, and the only reason it is ahead of the Pikorua is because the Indaba is an absolute steal at $7.50 a bottle.

1.  Coming in first this week, and this is a tough decision amongst some greats sauvs, is a Californian white that's also well-priced at $14.  Darker in color, this wine is close to a chardonnay without the sharp oaky chardonnay flavor.  It's balanced, it's fruity, and it is described as being "edgy on the palate."  I beg to differ on the edgy part.  I am not a chardonnay fan, but I love this wine.  It is smooth, it has a bit of attitude, and it is yummy.  Therefore...

My choice for Wine of the Week this week is: Sidebar Sauvignon Blanc.