Sunday, August 14, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK = BAREFOOT

Here's proof that people who are wine snobs do not necessarily know shit about what tastes good. I'm not talking about professional sommeliers nor am I referring to wine shop owners because these people will steer you right no matter what, and they don't care what you buy to drink or else they wouldn't sell it.

I'm talking about people like the main character in Sideways (who is a spitting image of a former beau of mine who was also a wine snob), people who turn their noses up at you when you buy a $10 bottle of red because the label kicks ass rather than a $45 "name" bottle that probably tastes exactly the same.

This week is a sort of hit but mostly miss week.   I attend two tastings, one from a winery that I've visited, raved about, and bought a case of wine from, but that tasting was a bust.  The second tasting had two wines that I could recommend (and might in the future) but nothing felt like it needed to come home with me.

Instead, I am recommending Barefoot wine.  That's right, Barefoot.  I liked their wines when I went to a fundraiser at the zoo two years ago, and I recently stumbled across their Refresh wines when I attended a pool party.  The red  Barefoot Refresh is excellent, especially with frozen fruit thrown in, and there's a rose Refresh that I have yet to open.

The Barefoot white Refresh, though, is this week's #1 and only official recommendation.  Fruity yet mild, not overpowering, with a touch of bubble to it, this wine does exactly what it says it will: Refresh you.  Even my son loved it, and he has a picky wine palate.  At $7 a bottle, it's a no-brainer.

It's damn hot out here in the Northeast, and I hear it's somewhat toasty everywhere else, too.  Do it.  You know you want to.  Check out the Barefoot Refresh wines and let me know which of the three you like best.  You won't be disappointed ... unless you're Miles from Sideways or my idiot ex.