Sunday, August 28, 2016

WINE OF THE WEEK ... MINI VERSION

I miss three wine tastings this week, which means I miss by buddy Kurt, my buddy Samanta, and my other buddies who are having a well-known chef cook for anyone who comes to the tasting.  These are not by voluntary avoidance; I am sick with a respiratory infection, and I cannot drink alcohol with the meds I am on.

Oh, sure, I could drag my sick arse to the tastings and ask everyone else their opinions, but the meds are not controlling the fever that springs up in the afternoon and evening, hovering between 100 and 102 degrees F.  I don't feel bad.  I feel pretty good.  Don't know what's going on; I just know this is ruining then end of my school break, just like the weird tonsil infection last August and the bout of pneumonia the August before that.

I think the cure is to avoid going back to school.

However, my incapacity does not minimize the importance of wine, so I'm going to share one that I may or may not have shared before. 

My penchant for Prosecco is well-documented.  There are two problems, though:  1. opening a large bottle is wasteful for one person; 2. the cork pops and scares the buhjeezus out of me.

The solution is simple, and restaurants already know this: individual small bottles of Prosecco.  These are screw-top bottles that open with no more pomp and drama than a regular soda bottle, and they are re-sealable.

Not only are these bottles of wine user-friendly and ever-ready, they are tasty; very tasty.  This week's Wine of the Week is 2014 Perlage Bacaretto Prosecco, It's dry, it's fruity, it's crisp, and it's refreshing.  Is it comparable to Champagne?  Oh, puhhhleeeeeeeze.  Nothing compares to Champagne, but Prosecco is a nice, affordable, refreshing alternative.

Besides, you'll be the envy of your friends when the bottle comes out at the restaurant and you get a serving and a half for the price of a single serving.  Running in stores around $6 and in restaurants between $7 and $9, the Perlage Barcaretto Prosecco is this week's choice for Wine of the Week.