Sunday, June 15, 2014

EMBRACING TECHNOLOGY

Today I embrace technology: I set up the calendar for the entire next year on my cell phone.

This may be a no-brainer to the rest of the world, but to me, I need a paper calendar I can visually see right smack in front of my face, and even then sometimes I space out and miss appointments.  I am also notoriously late when mailing gifts and cards (except at Christmas time).  This new techno-system may not cure me of my scehduling ways, but now I can have my schedule with me whenever I have my cell with me.

This whole process of scheduling my life via technology takes a long time because I have a busy schedule.  I decide to sit outside and enter my crazy life into the cell phone one painstaking appointment and activity at a time.  Part of the way through my semi-efficient hunt-and-peck method for finding the right keys to press, the sky decides to drop a light rain onto me.

Time to go back inside.

After working on entering data for another hour, I look down and realize that the front of my cell phone is filthy from rain and fingerprints, so I grab a cleaning packet and start glossing my phone to its former, pre-scheduled self.

During this process, though, I fail to lock the phone. Epic fail on my part.

My telephone starts calling one of my school teammates.

I madly hit "end call," but it doesn't end call.  Or maybe it does, but, when I hit it again, it goes back to what it was originally doing, which is making the call.  Just my luck that in the middle of all of this, I can hear my teammate's voice as she answers the phone.  I lift the receiver to my face in time to hear it cut out ... and start ringing again... then cut out ... then start ringing again.

The conversation goes like this:

(Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring)
ME:  Oh SHIT!
(Ring ring ring ring)
ME:  Goddamnit.  Goddamn fucking phone.
K:  Hey! What's u--
(Click)
ME:  Hello?  Hello!  PISS.
(Ring, ring, ring.)
(Hit "end call."  Hit "end call" again ... and again ... andagainandagainandagain...)
ME:  FUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
K:  Helllllooooooo?
(Click.)

Then one text comes through from my teammate:  "Dude?!?!"

I must explain that my phone is possessed and apparently really, really, really wants to call her but doesn't want to actually speak.  I have interrupted her afternoon, her day off, and made an asshole out of myself in the process, all because I'm trying to make my own life more efficient.

I will say this -- the screen of my cell phone is immaculate and will probably stay that way for a long while because right now I'm just too damn nervous to even touch the thing.  If it starts random dialing on its own again, though, that frigging phone is going in a drawer somewhere.