Friday, June 20, 2014

PACKING TWICE -- IT'S ALL THE RAGE

My school is moving for a year to the old high school.  This is part of what the town refers to as "progress."  We have been packing rolling crates for days now, including personal student files, confidential material, curriculum files, etc.  The only instructions we were given:  "Pack the crates carefully because to unpack them, you'll reverse the process..."  (Duh.)

After spending an extra three hours in my class this afternoon/evening packing stuff up, we all get an email tonight:  "Crates will be unpacked by the moving crew..."

What?  WHAT?!

So the electronics that I packed will be sitting in a room for anyone to grab until September.  And the toys and games that I packed will be sitting out until September, just calling out to anyone passing through the building ... the old teachers who are moving from the high school to the new school and the teachers (like me) moving to the high school building for a year.

That means there are two, probably three, crates that I need to unpack and hide the contents inside my now-empty file cabinet instead, like my electric hole punch and my Apples to Apples game and ...

I have to be honest.  I started throwing loose shit into the crates that still had space, stuff like pencil holders and a bloody arm from Halloween and score sheets for Yahtzee.  I figured that I'd be the one doing the emptying, so I wasn't too concerned with law & order amongst packing.

I mean, really.  What will the movers think when they come across stuffed Arthur the Aardvark, a plastic frog, a Staples "Easy" button, wire coat hangers, and the giant glass paperweight with the strange orange thing inside that looks like a giant wart?  Or when they see the Snoopy playing cards, the Polly Pocket with her own beach chair and sandals?

Yup.  I'm going to go repack some of that shit tomorrow.  All over again.  In the heat of my plywood prison.

Progress sucks.