Tuesday, June 3, 2014

BRING IT, TUESDAY ... I TRIPLE-DOG-DARE YA

I am having a crazy day at work. 

It's one of those days where I'm on my feet and teaching the same thing over and over and over for three-plus straight hours.  When lunch time comes (actually, late breakfast time), I realize I need to copy packets for tomorrow plus copy two versions of a multi-page exam.  There's no way that will all get done during my planning period when several of us are jockeying for use of the two semi-reliable copiers.  To make matters worse, today is the first truly warm day, so the paper in the copier is going to start curling and jamming if the humidity level climbs too high.

Lunch?  Nope.  Copy machine.  Pronto... before someone else has the same brilliant idea.

After lunch comes one more hour of teaching the same lesson for the fourth time in a row, and then a fifty-minute meeting.  On the way back to my room, I stop to reload the copy machine because, magically, no one is there, though someone left a copy job all printed out in the copier.  I rush back to my room, load up the homework assignments to schoolnotes.com, then realize the day is over and I have exactly seven minutes to pack up, pee, and get to a faculty meeting.

It's a contentious meeting -- new teams are being assigned, and I've been moved.  I've known about the move for days but was ordered to keep it quiet, so I have been eating lunch in my classroom, avoiding the lunchroom lest I blurt this information out.  Finally, today, all the new team assignments are out, but some people didn't get notified ahead of time, and the "surprise" is more of an implosion.

After that, we have to field information about a new federal mandate that will cost state teachers anywhere from $185-$1,000+ to fulfill, all at their own expense.  Charming. 

(Not the ones I made.  Stole the pic.)
When I get home, I'm fielding phone calls and emails and other fun things.  Even though it's 88 degrees outside, my house has stayed cool inside, and I realize I'm starving but not for real food.  I decide to bake peanut butter cookies.  Yeah.  Good idea.  Who's home to eat them?  Me.  Only me.  My waistline knows this and defies me anyway, but at least I drink milk with the six or so small cookies I munch down before packing the rest into an airtight container.

I didn't bother going grocery shopping because, after the day I've had, I'm too damn tired.  I unpack what was my lunch, dumping the last of the ice into the sink.  As I put the cottage cheese (yes, cottage cheese -- I'm the world's laziest lunch packer, and it's damn easy to grab that or yogurt, so don't judge me) back into the fridge, I see...

Ohhhhhh ... SCOOOOOOOOOOOORE!

Last night's leftover sirloin tip salad that I totally missed this morning in my manic rush to get to work is sitting on the middle shelf of my refrigerator.  Yes!  Yes yes yes yes.  How did I manage to miss this earlier when I got the milk out, or the eggs to bake?  I don't even care anymore.  Steak tip salad and an ice cold frozen margarita from the blender turn into my dinner.

All is right with the world. 

Work can be as crazy, even crazier, tomorrow.  I don't care.  I had steak and I had a nice beverage and I had homemade peanut butter cookies.  You know that saying, "Life is good"?  I have to be honest:  Until those people who said that find a sirloin tip salad in their fridge that they simply forgot about (that's still fresh and edible), they don't know shit about how good life really is. 

Bring it, Tuesday.  Go ahead, bring it!  I triple-dog-dare ya.  Show me what you've got.  I think I'm ready.