Monday, January 27, 2014

SEND!



To anyone who reads this blog, it's no secret that I am in the last phase of another degree.  I will soon have enough useless diplomas to wallpaper an entire room.  Some people collect coins or figurines or art work.  Apparently I collect college majors.  It's an expensive addiction, but judging from others like me in the program, I am not alone in this quest.

One thing I am not, however, is techno-savvy.  I know more about computers than some people, but a helluva lot less than I need to should I ever want to change fields of employment.  Of course, the other day when I fixed something the tech guy in the next room hadn't yet figured out, I almost peed my pants with excitement.  Yes, apparently I am the piddling puppy of the computer world.

Here's the thing, though.  When I click on something, such as a link or a start button or the word "send," I truly hope and expect that the computer will do exactly what I tell it to do.  If it doesn't, I just get sad.

Take Friday night, for example.  I know that I must have some work produced for my Saturday thesis session, so I start spitting out some drafts and doing some editing.  I mean, I am busting my chops getting this shit done.  All I have to do is send it to my advisor as an attachment.

I said, all I have to do is send it to my advisor as an attachment.

All I have … all … I … do … send.  Send.  Sendsendsendsendsendsend.  SEND.

Motherfucker.

I am wasting valuable time trying to send three more completed pieces to my advisor.  What I really need to be doing is prepping more material for the thesis writing marathon session at the café.  An hour.  My god, I've wasted a damn hour fighting with this email.  I check my email.  Nope, everything works fine on my end.  I check the university's email because often times the server is down for maintenance.  Nope, all systems are go.

Frustrated and totally pissed off (there's that peeing and piddling reference again), I save my work to the computer and to a flash drive and to Dropbox and call it a wash.  I prep my drafts for Saturday and vow not to even remotely consider trying to attach these drafts to an email until I am in a calm state.

Finally, Sunday morning after mainlining a strong cup of caffeine-laced tea, I am ready.  I have two computers -- the old one where all the original files are stored, and a newer one that is equipped with the latest and greatest track changes capabilities.  I need to make sure everything goes out through the upstairs computer as it will surely come back with track changes in Office 2010.  The downstairs computer has Office 1852, or some such, so I have to make this work no matter the emotional, psychological, or physical cost.

I sit at the computer, stare at the screen, and start typing.  First I call up the university website.  So far, so good.  Then I enter into the email system.  Still working.  I open a new mail document and type in some minor banter that basically means, "Here are some more drafts.  Please be merciful as I am one step away from having myself committed."  I click on the "attach" icon and … and … and … it opens.  Holymotherofgod, it opens.

Stealthily, oh so craftily I attach file number one.  Bingo.  Equally stealthily and equally craftily I attach file number two.  Bingo.  Could it really be this painless?  Please, oh, please let document number three attach.  Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.  Honestly, I am praying to the Microsoft gods at this very moment, willing everything to work exactly as it is designed to.  I click the last item and … and … and …

It attaches. 

Light brightly shines through the sheer curtain.  Trumpets blare.  I swear I can hear angels singing.

Before I hit send, there are three small repeated words in the corner by each document that read "preview."  Should I?  Should I really dare?  Oh, what the hell.  Like Peter Griffith staring at the red button that claims "Do NOT press," I simply must preview the attachments.  I check all three drafts.  Except for some lazy formatting on one, which I can fix later, everything looks good, I haven't lost anything nor accidentally deleted the files, and my email banter sounds almost rational.

SEND.

I wait.  Surely something will go awry.  Surely this will all bounce back and smack me right between the eyes.

Nope.  At least not as of this moment.  It appears as if all of the files have traveled to their ultimate destination, to my advisor, without a single hitch.  Of course I thought the same about paper #1, but that never arrived in her office, but papers #2 and #3 did.  These are papers #4, #5, and #6.  I decide to re-edit #1 and will send it off later this week so the professor doesn't feel bombarded and run away screaming.

If all goes well, and with luck it will, I shall be able to take my thesis when this is all done and wallpaper my entire townhouse with it.  After all, it will have about as much value as the degree I'll be handed in May if I survive this thesis process, and it will probably all go into the same pile as the rest.  The good news is I can send it to my junk pile by hand.  It's easy, it's painless, and it's a guaranteed dunk.