Wednesday, January 29, 2014

RETURN OF THE LACROSSE MONSTER




Nothing says "It's the frigid, unforgiving heart of winter" quite like that first spring college lacrosse schedule arriving via email.

Some of you know the email I'm talking about.  It arrives promising flowers and green grass and birds chirping.  What it actually delivers, though, is snowbanks and frozen astro-turf and the never-ending screech of Arctic wind as it whistles between ears and through bones.  College lacrosse -- the spring sport that starts in the dark heart of winter and finishes just after the vernal equinox.

For many fans and families, this initial email contact unleashes unbridled joy of traveling, cheering, and eating.  Yes, eating. We put out the best damn spreads of any college team around, and this is whether the team is home or away.  I don't mind admitting our home feasts are rival to no one, and it's one of the main reasons I'm damn glad my son was recruited by this team; I'm not going to lie about that.

For me, though, my reaction is three-fold.  My first reaction is, "Hell yeah, bring it on!"  My second reaction is always panic: "Oh, shit, I need to stock up on those little sticky hand and toe warmers."  Third, I run out and wipe out Market Basket of AA batteries.  My camera easily goes through a few dollars worth of batteries every game.  I don't believe in rechargeable battery packs for cameras.  I need to be able to trade out the AA's quickly, efficiently, and without agita.  Miss a shot?  Not on my watch.

I tend to travel alone to and from games, and I'm not sure some of the longer trips will find their way into my schedule.  But still, that first shot of seeing the dates, the times, the hotel info -- It's like getting a shot of pure adrenaline.  Or maybe it's like forgetting to take my anti-psychotic meds.  Either way, I'm out of my head with excitement and already planning out my immediate future.  For instance, I have already mapped out the back way to the university from Newburyport so I can continue helping out my thesis mate on Saturdays but not miss any home game start times, going from ocean shoreline to the banks of Massabesic Lake in less than ninety minutes without ever touching the highway.

Totally psyched.  Completely psyched.  After all these years of doing this with my boys, from youth through high school and through two college teams, I only get to do this for two more spring seasons, if I'm really and truly lucky.  While you people are chuckling at me out there in the ice and snow and sleet and rain, bundled up and trying to snap photos with my Canon Powershot 35mm-equivalent camera, and believing I must be completely insane, I will be having the time of my life.

Okay, maybe I'll be having the time of a Popsicle's life, but still.  College lacrosse season is approaching, and I will be ready.  Bring it.