Tuesday, January 21, 2014

GAME ON

Okay, since I'm on a weather rant lately, let's talk about the dueling forecasts for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Scenario #1 -- Cold weather moving in for the week. (Last week's forecast for this week)

Scenario #2 -- Possible snow Wednesday  (Forecast at start of weekend ... by the same people who brought us "snow showers" that turned into six inches of heavy, wet snow)

Scenario #3 -- Snow Tuesday into Wednesday, some accumulation expected  (Forecast at the end of the weekend)

Scenario #4 -- Snow starting Tuesday night around 7 p.m. and going through Wednesday afternoon, accumulation 4-8 inches.  (Noontime Monday forecast)

Scenario #5 -- Snow starting around 1 p.m. on Tuesday and going through Wednesday afternoon, accumulation 5-10 inches.  (Evening forecast Monday)

Scenario #6 -- Blizzard warnings for Tuesday into Wednesday  (7 p.m. Monday forecast)

Scenario 7 --  8-12 inches of snow due and blizzard warnings  (8 p.m. via the Internet)

Scenario #8 -- THE FUCKING APOCALYPSE IS COMING! RUN FOR YOUR MISERABLE LIVES!  RUN LIKE YOU'VE NEVER RUN BEFORE!  YOU'LL NEVER BE SAFE AGAIN!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  This is New England; it snows here; get over it.

That being said, I prefer not to drive in snow because when I slide around like that I'd prefer to be on a sled or skis, and not be in a heavy, metal, uncontrollable missile.  I'd prefer not to shovel it because I screwed up my elbow shoveling the last batch, and I'm really far too old and far, far too gorgeous to be shoveling like this.  Snow storms mess with the schedule, too, because classes have to be cancelled, days are tacked on top the school year, events and parties have to be rescheduled, and idiots descend on the grocery stores and gas stations as if they'll never see food or fuel again.

To be fair, those of us who suffered through the Blizzard of '78 ( a real storm, a true storm, a great storm) truly did run out of food and fuel.  But it was a three-day monster storm.  When meteorologists and amateurs talk about blizzards, it's always a severe disappointment to those of us who remember the '78 storm.  A 24-hour blizzard?  Kid stuff.  Baby stuff.  Charlatans.  Liars.  Lightweights.

So here it is, Tuesday.  This blog will post at 4:30 a.m.  By 6:00 a.m. I will have checked all of the local stations' weather reports, WBZ and WCVB and WHDH and WMUR and FOX25 and NECN, along with the weatherscan cable channel. Which station will get both the timeline and the snowfall totals the clostest?  (Personally, my money is always on Matt Noyes at NECN.  He says 6 inches of snow for my area.  I'm counting on it.)

In the midst of all of this, my wireless Net service still works but my modem-based for the downstairs computer is completely dead.  I am in semi-Comcast Hell until about 7:00 p.m. Tuesday night, when the cable tech is supposed to come by and fix it ... yet again ...  Hopefully the cable and the Net and the electricity will hold up during this great "blizzard" so I can report who wins the Weather Wars.

Game on.