Monday, September 10, 2018

WHICH WINE GOES WITH HOT DOGS?

My refrigerator decides that the weather is too much for it.  About five days ago, it started to lose its cool -- literally -- during the last of the multiple heat waves we have had.  It's not entirely the fridge's fault.  I went away for four days during the thickest, hottest of the weather, and the poor thing tried and tried and tried to keep itself running.

Eventually as the weather changes and as I return from my vacation to put the air conditioners back on, the fridge does spring back to life with a vengeance, freezing nearly everything inside.  But, during its few days of being a little wonky, I have been averse to putting anything too valuable and potentially lethal inside its semi-chilly chamber.

That means I have been eating sedate things, like peanut butter and jelly, ham, and things I'm not worrying too much about getting salmonella from, like hot dogs.  Yes, I have eaten hot dogs for at least two dinners.

It's not so bad.

The first night I have a lovely English cucumber, so I slice that up and throw on some Caesar dressing to go along with my dog in its bun with mustard and relish.  The second dinner is even better.  My friend brings me fresh tomatoes from her garden, and I have some basil on a plant that has just about decided it's done for the season, so I make a fabulous Caprese salad by buying fresh mozzarella to add to it all.

Suddenly I feel like I should be celebrating.  I mean, it's not every day that Caprese salad and hot dogs are on the menu.  Plus, the fridge is still crippling along, and I might make it a few more days until I have to decide if it will recover or if I need to buy a new one (as you know, it recovers!).  I decide that some semi-chilled white wine would go perfectly with my wonderful Italian-ish all-American supper.

I'm not really sure of the wine pairings for Caprese salad and a hot dog with relish and mustard in a bun, but I will say that the sauvignon blanc does a wonderful job of making the meal more decadent.  I'm not sure if I am ready to go to Wine Spectator with that claim, but I guess sharing it with all of you via my blog will have to do.