Sunday, September 2, 2018

CURIOUS ABOUT GEORGE AT THE STATION

One of the attractions of visiting my brother and his family in New York is a special event being held at the local PBS station.  My sister-in-law works at the station, which is hosting a Curious George brunch as part of its summer series.  Best of all, the station needs a few extra volunteers.

We show up as an entire familial unit and descend on the station like Tasmanian devils.  We're in the studio, in the kitchen, outside, in the activities room... We are anywhere and everywhere.  One of my nephews and I end up in the activities room.  I am in charge of The Rainbow Fish craft activity; he is in charge of the Green Eggs and Ham activity at the table next to mine.

It's a whirlwind two hours from start to finish, and there are surprisingly few tears (from the children, the parents, or us).  Glue is flying everywhere (one of the bottles on my table springs a leak) and someone (not I) dumps coffee all over a girl's rainbow fish.  Other than that, though, things go well.

Toward the end of the event, my other nephew, who has been working in the studio, strolls in, colors and cuts out a rainbow fish, then attaches it to a paper fry pan.  We hide it under some green eggs fry pans so no little kiddo gets upset that we are frying up rainbow fish for lunch.

I am very excited when Curious George makes a visit to our activities room.  This is what I came out for, after all.  I've never met Curious George before, so it's all kind of cool.  Oh, sure, I know it's someone inside the suit.  Heck, it could've been me if I hadn't grabbed an empty table to run, but it's still awesome to watch the kids, some younger and some older, hugging Curious George and totally getting into the event.

When it's over we take our booty with us, along with a few leftover donuts, and move on to the next shenanigans for the day.