Monday, January 25, 2016

UNEXPECTED OCEAN

I'm on my way to my sister's house, where she has lived for decades.  I know she lives sort of near the ocean because I walked past the beach two years ago during a 5k.  For many, many years I have passed Sea Street.  Where does it go?  How far is the beach?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I pass Sea Street, look at the clock, decide I'm plenty early enough, and make a pact with myself:  I'll drive down Sea Road for no more than four or five miles.  If there's no water anywhere, then I'll turn around.

A little over three miles in, my GPS is showing blue.  Could it be? 

Suddenly the road ends, the scenic vistas opens up, and I am at the shoreline.  It's a gray day, the kind a photographer loves more than a beach bum.  It also could be the fact that it's about 17 degrees outside as to why it's pretty much deserted out here.

There's a major storm hitting south of here, but the sky for miles shows natures wrath.  I snap some pictures and open the windows so I can hear the surf.  I close the windows relatively quickly in case seagulls fly into my car and reenact a scene from Hitchcock's The Birds.

I don't know why I've never ventured this way before, but I'm glad that I did.  It may be a monochromatic kind of beach day, but a beach day beats any other kind of day no matter what the weather.  (I know some of you are nodding in agreement and some of you think we're whacked in our heads.)

 By the way, my sister lives about 3.7 miles from the ocean.  I hope she knows how lucky she truly is ... about the ocean; not about having me for a sister.  Okay, maybe about both.