Tuesday, January 19, 2016

GOSSIP SAYS MAJOR STORM

Gossip.  All of it, gossip, gossip, gossip. 

The weather people are hinting about a major storm coming in for Friday and Saturday.  Honestly, whenever anyone says "major storm," I think "Blizzard of '78."  Unless I am housebound for three days and unable to drive for a week after that, this is NOT a "major storm."

Since, however, it is the first time this winter that anyone has even hinted that we might be getting some snow, I am certain of one thing: the grocery stores are going to be a madhouse on Thursday. 

This house is loaded up with staples already.  I have cans and boxes and cannisters of breakfast, lunch, and dinner stuff already stashed and ready in case of a true emergency, like an I'm-too-lazy-to-go-shopping emergency.  If I do not participate in the running of the pre-snow gauntlet, it won't be breaking my heart.

However, this is not my first trip to the rodeo.

Tuesday, if all goes as planned, I will rush out of work at the exact time, drive my little car over to the big grocery store, and attempt to speed shop in forty-five minutes enough groceries for the next five days -- perishables to supplement the non-perishables already crammed into the cabinets.  I'll buy a little extra milk, just in case, maybe some extra eggs since I just made the other dozen into egg salad the other day.  I'll stock up on toilet paper and tissues.  I'll make a few extra bags of ice, just in case.  I usually don't lose electricity because I'm on the same grid as the police and fire department, but that doesn't mean crap when it's a true major storm.

IF it's a true major storm.  IF.  I don't feel it in my bones.  Of course, these weary bones shoveled over 100 inches of snow last winter, so I'm not sure anything is going to be scaring me this season.  I'm an optimist, though.  After all, when it was 70 degrees over Christmas, I went out and bought a brand new shovel just in case ... you know ... in case we get a "major storm."