Tuesday, January 5, 2016

SING FOR YOUR LUNCH


For some unknown reason, I decide that my first day back from break should be a teaching day on my feet.  This would be a wonderful idea if I felt well, but I don't.  My back and entire right flank are still giving me problems.  Maybe I fried a kidney.  Who knows?  All I know is that I'm not quite right.  I feel like my back has a perpetual toothache.

I start the lesson with some general housekeeping -- collect the reading logs that are due and handing out new ones due next week.  Then, I queue up six short videos on the Writing Process and the Six Trait Writing methodology.  The videos are homemade (not by me - I found them in cyberspace) using semi-advanced web-based programs, pre-set templates with cheesy soundtracks that sound like they may have been recorded inside tin cans.

No matter.  One of the videos is a rap-like rock song, with the lyrics and colorful illustrations to go with each transition.  The kids start singing along for some reason -- first thing in the morning, fresh back from break, fighting off boredom and disgust, or just because ... I don't have the answer. 

By the time I get class #3, the one right before lunch, I tell the kiddos that they cannot go to lunch until they successfully sing two choruses of the song.  After such a long break from school and each others' company, I'm not sure what to expect, but I am pleasantly surprised.

By the last class, the students have already heard what I've done and what they'll be doing.  We have to SING? they bemoan as they file in and take their seats.   

Yes, you HAVE to sing, and you're going to LIKE it, whether you want to or not.

I have the video all ready (I set it back up and pause it while they are working on their journals).  As soon as writing notebooks and text books are put away in proper places, the chairs go on the desks and the children stand around the room waiting.  They can see what I'm doing because everything is still being shown on my (useless and completely inefficient) white board projector.

I click the start arrow and ...

Now, I have to be honest here, because honesty is sort of my thing.  Okay, I like to lie and embellish, but stay with me for a moment.  I truly do not expect anyone to sing.  I didn't expect it earlier during first block when it spontaneously happened, nor before lunch, nor right now.  This, though -- this is one of those moments that make teaching middle school the absolute best thing in the entire world.

Suddenly the music comes up, the beat begins, and the students open their mouths and start singing (rapping) along and dancing, too.  They're writing; they're singing; they're moving.  Amazingly, they're truly working on day #1 back after the long holiday break. 

Apparently, writing really does rock.  Who knew?