Sunday, December 3, 2023

WRAPPING UP MY SANITY

Currently the FedEx, UPS, USPS, and Amazon delivery people are my best friends. 

It's not so much that I am trying to make my life easier by ordering holiday gifts online as it is that I am sick and tired of being my own cashier at the check-out. I've done my stint in retail, and I'm over it. Besides, I am not getting any employee discounts at these stores, so why would I do self-checkout?

Next comes the part that I really hate: wrapping. I don't know why, but I despise wrapping stuff. Unfortunately, it is as necessary a part of the holiday season as eating over-baked and under-decorated cookies. So, I set up my wrapping station, which must be moved, rearranged, put away, and taken out over and over again because I do need my kitchen table from time to time.

I'm in decent shape for now. I've wrapped enough stuff to have several shipping boxes complete and ready to go to UPS. My goal is to enjoy the entire last week of Advent by having nothing other than partying and cooking on my proverbial plate. Every year I swear I will be ready and able to relax, and every year it is an epic failure.

This year will be different. Or so I believe.

Right now, much as I love them and count on them, my delivery people are letting me down (through no fault of their own). Several items, regardless of how early I ordered the stuff, is delayed, delayed, delayed. Today I helped the Amazon delivery person get into the package room here at the complex, hoping that at least one of my items might arrive today. 

No such luck, though. I get home to an email update: Your items are now delayed until at least Tuesday. Sweet. Just flaming sweet.

In the meantime, I'll wrap like a demon on a holiday sugar high. If I eat enough chocolate and sip enough wine, I probably won't mind wrapping anymore. (The recipients might.) Maybe by the end of it all, my Grinch Wrapping heart will grow three sizes. I mean, I wouldn't place bets on it, but, like the delayed shipping on my items, I can always remain hopeful of holiday miracles.