Sunday, January 8, 2017

SNOW AND MUFFINS

Snowing, snowing, snowing, snowing!  Finally.  First real snow of the year.  The other two or three snow appearances barely warranted shovels, and this one, though not epic, is certainly not disappointing.  As I write this blog, it has been snowing steadily and quietly for over ten hours.

I'm not one of those crazy people who goes grocery shopping before a storm, although I do make sure there's gas in my car.  I always have food and basic staples in the house, anyway.  My recent Whole Foods obsession means that I also have some blueberries (bagged when they were fresh) that I threw in the freezer recently.

By mid-morning the snow has started, and I decide to bake.  I've also been on a health kick lately, so rather than my usual brownies or cookies, I bake blueberry muffins with oats and cinnamon.  When I take them out of the oven, I steal one and slather it with butter.  The muffin is still piping hot, and the butter melts easily. 

Over the course of the day and into the evening, I eat a second muffin and my son steals one, as well.  At the end of the night, it is still snowing.  The rest of the muffins will be saved for shovel-ready energy boosts in the morning.  For now, though -- snow, snow, snow -- snow on.  It's absolutely breathtaking.