Monday, January 16, 2017

PUTTING AWAY CHRISTMAS

I knew it was time
And therefore today
I packed it all up --
I put Christmas away.

This year was late
Going up, coming down.
The season - so busy
I thought I might drown.

Last night I knew
All would pack in a bit,
So I watched the Pats' game
With the Christmas tree lit.

This morning while doing
The laundry downstairs
I brought up the boxes,
Sometimes in pairs.

I started it all
By stripping the tree.
No one was home so
The job fell to me.

First came the garland,
Then ornaments, too
(Some from my childhood
And others brand new).

Carefully off of the tree
Strands of light.
I wrapped them up safely
And wound them up tight.

Then all of the toys
Went back in the bin.
Another ten months
'Til I see them again.

I packed up the glassware
And each Christmas plate,
Carefully wrapping,
Securing each fate.

The wreaths went, and
All of the jingling bells.
Each candle holder
Still with Christmas smells.

Well, almost them all--
I thought I was set.
Somehow there's always
One thing I forget.

No matter how cleverly
Scoured my home,
No matter how carefully
Through it I comb,

The last piece of Christmas
Hides in its place,
Right under my nose,
In front of my face.

An old candle holder
 Escapes from my packing.
Apparently, Christmas
Around here is slacking.

Now all packed up
And put on the shelves
Until next December --
Sleep well, little elves.