Sunday, January 22, 2017

MARCHING FOR THE GRAPES

My daughter is waiting for me to tell the sink story.  By the time we get to it, we'd have hyped it so much that it won't be funny anymore.  Okay, it will still be funny to those of us who witnessed it.  In truth, the sink story requires finesse, and this week has been too exhausting for finesse.  I promise, though, the sink story is forthcoming, probably tomorrow.

In the meantime, today, as everybody with a brain knows, is the Women's March on Washington.  I support those who decide to march today, but it's not my thing.  I need to be near a port-a-potty at all times these days as my bladder works about as well as a leaky sponge.  You go, ladies... Well, you march; I'll go... and go ... and go.

Feeling a little left out, I decide to march on my own.  First I march to the bank and cash a check so I can continue to eat and fun things like that.  As an independent woman who has been the family's sole breadwinner since 1993, I have to do things like banking and all that fun shit all by myself.

Then I march (okay, my car marches) to the gas station where I let the friendly guys who work there pump my gas.  It's a full service station that has gas at highly competitive prices, and it's the closest station to my house.  I suppose one could argue that I'm not a feminist because sometimes I let someone else, usually a male, pump the gas into my car.  I like to think of it as my entrepreneurial contribution in keeping these guys employed.  I like to think I'm actually being a market-forward thinker.

After this, I march down to the small chain grocery store that competes with the huge chain grocery store several miles away.  This store doesn't have a big selection, but I rarely have to wait in a line, and I can usually get a parking space (because it's never crowded) within spitting distance of the door.  I really want to buy a pot roast to cook for the Patriots' game, but the roasts are all huge and really pricey.  There are three meat counters at the store: self-service pre-packaged meats, organic meats, and the meat counter where you take a ticket and wait for the butcher-person to assist you.  The organic guy is stocking the shelves and asks if he can help me.  No, damnit, I'm a woman!  I can choose for myself ... right?  I settle on pre-packaged chicken instead of a roast.  Maybe I'll make coq au vin or some crazy experiment. 

After marching home, I make myself a tuna sandwich using about a third of a giant pita.  I need to go to Staples to check out some stuff, so I start heading in that general direction.  I swear at myself when I realize that I've completely passed the turn to go to the strip mall where Staples is located, but I am thrilled to see that I am on autopilot toward my usual Saturday wine tasting, and so I soldier on.

This is tasting number one today.  I have already strategically planned tasting number two as my "Sip wine, chat a little, then grab the Bud Light for the game" excursion.  This first tasting is my serious wine stop.  If I'm going to buy wine, it's usually here.  The selection is decent, the staff is knowledgeable, and the prices are unbeatable.  Today it's an All Bordeaux tasting, which means that I will be marching into France. 

After tasting two whites and five reds, I decide that Bordeaux is someplace I should probably visit at some point, but, since I cannot march across the Atlantic at the moment, I have to choose one bottle of Bordeaux wine as my favorite.  I narrow it down to two: One white and one red, because, in true solidarity with the whole marching theme, I want to be inclusive. 

The red for this week ends up being the one that isn't the favorite of my sipping compadres, but, then again, I've never been much of a follower.  My favorite red on the table is the Chateau Haut Pourjac Bordeaux, a 2015 vintage that has a nose that first hints of butter then blends into dark fruit.  It's not a very complex wine, but it is smoothly drinkable.  The tannins give it a little nip at the finish, but overall this wine is expressive and economical at $13 a bottle.

The white is my winner suggestion for this week.  At $12 a bottle, it is worth every penny.  Fruity and robust without being overpowering, the Chateau Beauregard Ducourt Entre Deux Mers Blanc is boldly yellow-green in color in the glass.  This wine stays on the palate with citrus and floral playing together.  It's a blend of Semillon and Muscadelle added to predominantly Sauvignon Blanc grapes.  My first written note on this wine:  YUM!

In the end, though, I make note of the Bordeauxs but march out of the tasting with a different bottle of wine, one I've never tried -- a red blend that bears the middle name of my daughter.  I must feel guilty for not telling the sink story yet.  I promise that I will march my rearend to the computer chair tomorrow and attempt to retell the story of how my daughter and I took on the kitchen plumbing.  Maybe she'll be so pleased with the way I tell it that she will march on over here and help me drink the bottle of wine I bought in her honor.