Sunday, January 16, 2022

COLDER THAN A WITCH'S TEAT AND THEN SOME


On the heels of the lovely snow from last week, we are now experiencing skin-splitting cold. It's so damn cold out there that I won't leave the house. Nope. Not going to do it and you can't make me. 

I went shopping on Thursday when it was seasonably balmy -- mid 40's, which in winter is considered bathing suit weather here in New England. I bought all the fixings for today's project: soup. Delicious and easy vegetable soup with way too much macaroni in it.

All this to prevent myself from venturing out into the tundra.

I even put on exercise clothes (yoga pants and t-shirt) to remind myself not to go outside. No, girlfriend, you can't go out because you tied your sneakers and you'd have to remove them to change out of the yoga pants, and that's too much work, so stay inside. Just stay inside!

I did venture to the front lobby of my building to get my mail. It was about 20 degrees (must have heat somewhere near that front door) down there, which is forty degrees higher than the wind chill temperatures on the other side of the door. 

I am not crazy. I will not open my porch door to switch on the string of white lights decorating the railing. No way. Screw that! I'm not going to sit out there tonight, anyway. I shut the blinds and go about my business, which is sitting in front of the gas fireplace enjoying the fact that it's almost 70 degrees inside and the only frostbite I hope to encounter this evening is because an ice cube in my drink sticks to my lip.

Tomorrow will be better, though. It is supposed to hit 27 degrees tomorrow. If the wind dies down, it will feel forty degrees warmer than today. By Monday, when the temperatures reach the mid-40's again, I might even break out my shorts and go for a walk.