Sunday, November 28, 2021

THANKSGIVING - THAT'S A WRAP

 Thanksgiving was successful.

Nothing started on fire, nothing burned, no one was injured, no food landed on the floor, and everyone behaved at the table . . . even me, for a change.

I didn't cook this year, for the first time in a long time. I did some baking - blueberry corn muffins and some pumpkin butter - but, for the most part, I kept my hands off the cooking (which explains the incredible success). 


It was a little weird not performing the Mad Dance of the Side Dishes. Everything had been prepped and ready, so the most I had to do was measure the extreme height of the mashed potatoes as they overflowed the big bowl. Looking back on it now, I probably should've stolen more leftover mashed potatoes. Drat.

I lost spectacularly at Cribbage several times, and I think I was skunked at least twice. I mostly lost at Rummy. I picked the wrong dog during the National Dog Show. (Honestly, who would've thought the Tommy Chong of bulldogs would win its class after it practically fell off the podium and then wobbled sideways when it tried to walk?!)

I am almost ready to start the next season. Hanukkah is in transit, and I bought a small, pre-lit tree to replace the old one that needed to have lights strung on it. I still need at least one purple Advent candle and some candles for the windows, but, other than that, I think I'm in decent shape.

I thank the turkey. Without a perfect turkey (and lots of potatoes), I doubt I would be ready at all. Hence why I didn't cook this year. Thank you to my hosts. Next time, though, a little mercy at the Cribbage board might be nice, too. 

I'm just saying.