Sunday, May 30, 2021

FLAG DISPLAY IS NOT A DETERRENT

I have been ordering a lot of stuff from Home Depot since I moved in early April. Yes, I dumped a lot of my old furniture (maybe not the brightest idea I’ve had, but definitely one of the happiest) when I downsized recently. Rather than have crap delivered to my new place, I have been picking it all up randomly at the local Home Depot about seven miles from my new place.

 Sometimes it’s a great success, and sometimes it’s not so great. “Uh, I actually ordered four of these. Are the other three out back?” (Here emits an exasperated sigh by the overworked employee who goes back in search of three more semi-heavy boxes.) The problem with this also means that I am back to building furniture and following directions, talents that I only semi-possess.

 Could I go to the furniture store? Sure. I am still on the lookout for that perfect living room accent chair. However, the wait of fourteen to twenty weeks for furniture delivery really turned me off. I am tired, so very tired, of living out of boxes. I am ready to get organized.

 

The advantage to store pick-up is that I do NOT have to pay shipping fees. If I were willing to fight northbound traffic, I could even have it delivered to New Hampshire and save sales tax. The disadvantage to store pick-up is the awkward wait for the merchandise to come down from the back storage area.

 Other customers in Home Depot have been marvelously polite. “Are you in line?”  Nope. I am hiding behind the cacti display because I am trying NOT to be in line, but thank you. The last two times I’ve been in to pick up merchandise (after being helped and while waiting for the stuff to be wheeled down), I’ve taken to hiding behind the flag display, which replaced the cacti display, which replaced the lawn fertilizer display, which replaced the snow shovel display . Still, people find me. They lurk around the corners of the massive boxes and hundreds of flags, surprise me to the point where I almost pee myself, and yell, “YOU IN LINE?!”

 No, dudes. I simply have a flag fetish and I’m creeping here to mess with your minds. (Okay, I do have a flag fetish, but that’s a story for another day.)

 Thank you, Home Depot, for having things like bathroom linen cabinets and other such interesting items on your website. In the meantime, change that front display out because I’m sure I’ll need something else soon, and clearly the tall flags are not a deterrent for my in-store version of Hide-But-Don’t-Seek.