Sunday, May 9, 2021

DECORATING FAILS


I am no decorator. My idea of style is to get plastic shelves and call it a day. I just moved, and downsizing meant finally getting rid of functional yet old furniture and finally investing in a few newer pieces. Some stuff I refused to part with because, hey, who cares if it’s old and out of style. Right?

Well, apparently EVERYONE cares about decorating with things that are out of style.


Joanna Gaines declares that everything I do is tacky. Martha Stewart recommends that I throw a dozen different colors, fabrics, and patterns together and make my life busier than North Station after a non-pandemic  Bruins game. Every magazine I flip through looks like the 1970’s have come back to style.


Damn. If I’d just held on to my furniture, I might actually be in vogue.

But, seriously. I am posting pictures from magazines to prove my point. These “decorators” have been paid big money to create these incredibly puke-worthy styles. Truly. These rooms are butt-ugly . . . fugly, even . . . and I am supposed to  mimic this crap.

Okay, I am sorry if this is your house or if these are your friends’ houses. I mean, I’m sorry if you have to live like this or if you paid someone money to “design” this for you. It looks like designers opened up random department store catalogues from the Brady Bunch era and pretended they (re)invented the “look.” 


I also included a picture of my decorating – the blank slate. I did order a piece of furniture to put here, but I am not showing it in the blog. Unlike the “paid professionals,” I know I have tacky taste. Let’s just pretend this space looks beautiful.