Sunday, June 6, 2021

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN

T’was weeks before summer
And look was has fallen:
Everything’s covered in
Spring-laden pollen.
 
My house and my porch,
My car and my seat,
I’m covered with pollen from
Forehead to feet.
 
My once-black sedan
No longer is seen.
When I look for my car,
I now search for green.
 

The pile of minutiae
Upon my porch floor
Contains a few leaflets
And green crap galore.
 
My nose, how it runs.
My throat, how it scratches.
We try to fight pollen –
We batten the hatches.
 
Opening windows?
Ridiculous bust!
Right through the screens
Creeps that ominous dust.
 
The car wash is busy.
We’re all trying to clear
Inches of pollen
From front hood to rear.
 
Waves of green pollen
Bring me to my knees
As I fight with my sinuses:
“Please, nose, don’t sneeze!”
 
But I hear Spring exclaim
As it gusts out of glee:
“I’ll green ya next year,
That’s my guarantee!”