Sunday, August 11, 2024

MY EPIC ROAD TRIP: BAD DECISIONS MAKE GOOD STORIES, CHAPTER 3

{Continued saga of the epic road trip from Massachusetts to Vermont, to Plattsburgh, NY, to Syracuse, NY, through Albany, NY, back to Plattsburgh, NY, then back to Massachusetts -- Yes, It's a triangle+ of epic proportions, not a straight line, because somebody (me) feels a great need to explore areas of Vermont and New York that I have not been to yet.}

Day #1 - Everything is loaded into the car, my snacks and cooler are within easy reach at any and every stop, and my good camera is an arm's-length away. I'm full of confidence that everything, every single little thing, is going to go my way, exactly as planned, or better!

The first stop is a rest area. Unfortunately for me and everyone else who stops, we're about fifteen minutes too early to use the facilities. One hardy gentleman does his business in a porta-potty, throwing the door open afterward to exclaim, "It's not too bad in there compared to the other ones." His female companion and I glance at each other and shake our heads. I'm not against porta-potties; I use them whenever it's necessary. But, I'm reasonably close to civilization, so I opt for a quick few photos of the view and head back on the road. 

Quechee Gorge plunges about 165 feet with spectacular ledge views and a 1.3 mile trail along the Ottauquechee River. There's an amazing bridge that provides panoramic views without having to hike down and then back up again. Unfortunately, the bridge is reduced to one lane right now and is totally under construction. The view is not only obstructed; it is completely hidden by lumber. The bridge, a three-hinge steel deck arch, was constructed in 1911 as a railroad bridge. I'm deeply depressed that I am only able to snap pictures of the north side through a fence and from a trail through trees, but I'm thrilled the state is saving the bridge. I might have time to make the trek down and back into the gorge itself -- I've done it before -- but I'm wearing sandals, and it's already blast-furnace hot at 9:00 a.m. Maybe next time.

Due to the backed-up traffic crossing the construction zone, I accidentally miss the Quechee Covered Bridge, but I do manage to see the next three on my list: Taftsville, Middle, and Lincoln Covered Bridges. There are a couple of great spots to view the Taftsville Bridge, and it's the only one of the three that I get any decent shots of on the drive. 

I am about an hour ahead of my self-imposed schedule, which puts me at the base of Killington mountain mid-morning. I arrive at the Water Wheel Trading Post too late for their famous breakfast sandwich and too early to buy beer with a clear conscience. I stop anyway, grab some chocolate and a picture or two, and head toward my next stop.

Unfortunately, not all of Vermont is a quaint Hallmark movie, and Rutland is a perfect example. There are a couple of sculptures I'd like to see. One is Batman Meets Mr. Halloween, which I drive past getting to the artwork that I truly do want to see: a Steampunk locomotive made out of scrap. I'd like to exit my car and snap better photos, but this may not be the best idea with the train station parking lot under partial occupation and with active dirty deals taking place in the wide open light of day. Rutland has a relatively high crime rate, and I am a single old lady with a car full of goodies. Luckily, it starts to rain, which makes getting out of the car a dumb idea, anyway, and I use my camera from the comfort and safety of my vehicle (note the inspection sticker in the bottom right of the frame).

The second to last stop before I get to today's end point of Middlebury, is the New England Maple Syrup Museum. Yes, it's more store than artifact, but the place is charming. I join a couple from New York, and we sample some amazing local maple syrup. We all love the final one, a bourbon-barrel sample that is the best maple syrup I have ever tasted in my life. There is only one bottle left, and the other couple grabs it. I take my second favorite as a gift to my hosts, who always bring me New York maple syrup. I also spend a pretty penny on lots of other useless stuff because this shop has about a zillion things that I want to buy.

The last thing I need to see before rolling into today's ultimate destination is a huge

statue/sculpture named Queen Connie. Connie is a giant steel and concrete (aka "Connie") gorilla that is holding up an old Volkswagen Beetle. Her other arm is a large seat that people can sit in. (I do not in case I get stuck in it.). A few snapshots later, I wave goodbye to Queen Connie and continue up route 7, bringing me to another chapter of the blog, which will post next Sunday.

Don't worry, folks. You know it won't run smoothly.