Sunday, August 4, 2024

MY EPIC ROAD TRIP: BAD DECISIONS MAKE GOOD STORIES, CHAPTER 2

I'm plotting my way to Syracuse, New York (Upstate), from north of Boston, Massachusetts (Merrimack Valley), via Plattsburgh, New York (North Country). I've already discounted multiple simple and lower-stress ways to accomplish this, but, with me at the helm, nothing is ever easy. Nothing.

I finally make some decisions. Since I always stop by Quechee Gorge, I find it on the map. Route 4. Looks tame enough. Now that I have my first destination, I need a theme (other than Crazy Old Woman Takes On Backroads of Vermont and New York State for Sheer Idiocy). I decide to do a mini-tour of covered bridges. Some of the better ones are just too far off of my radar, but there are plenty along the way if I just stick to a plan. 

I can hear some of you laughing hysterically already at the "stick to a plan" bull-tooky. It's okay. Trust me - I deserve your mockery, as you will learn over the next few blogs.

My end-point-for-today's destination, the first leg of the journey: University of Vermont's Morgan Horse Farm in Middlebury. I do some research on hotels and discover that, despite being a college town, Middlebury isn't really a place that accommodates tourists and students and families. Oh, it loves having people come through and spend money, but apparently Middlebury doesn't encourage anyone actually spending any extended time there unless you Air BnB or do the local inns. Despite that, I do book the one chain hotel after researching the place. Now I have point A (Quechee) and Point B (Middlebury) in place.

In between Points A and B, I make a list of covered bridges (four) within easy road access, and some other things to squeeze in: trading post, statues, odd sculptures, a small museum/shop, some scenic views, an art museum, and the Morgan horses. I hope to do most of these on Day 1 and spill them into the morning of Day 2 before I continue toward my relatives, which is Point C.

Next, I make a loose plan for travel from Point B to Point C. This includes anything left from Day 1, plus: a modern bridge, an old stone fort, Champ (our Loch Ness monster), a school house, a chasm (another gorge), and my favorite farm stand store.

I also do something that most people think is stupid -- I make sure I have directions printed out, just in case. Remember last week's blog when I mentioned that my car has 93,000 miles on it, and to hold that thought? Well, when I say I have some rudimentary maps printed out, I'd like you to hold that thought, as well.

I pack my suitcase with clothes and toiletries, a backpack with electronics and camera, snacks for the two-day trip, and a cooler. The car has recently been serviced, the tires are inflated properly (I have an electronic air machine if needed), and the car is gassed up. 

The only thing left to do is to totally screw up this entire adventure.