Sunday, April 28, 2024

BEING PRODUCTIVELY UNPRODUCTIVE

Wonderful weather today. 

I am supposed to be working on school stuff, and I am to a point, but I've had a really horrid week and I'm disgusted with spending the waning time I have on Earth on people (adults and children) who really don't give a flying fig if I lose my mind or have a coronary. 

I start my day by sleeping late, really late (for me). I wake up several times but roll over and refuse to let the morning interfere until just after nine. I get up and attempt to get dressed when I realize that I ran laundry last night, but I forgot about it in the washing machine. It's still damp enough, and it smells clean, so I toss it in the dryer with an extra static sheet.

Schoolwork happens while I'm waiting to get dressed. I might as well make good use of my time. I rewrite a worksheet because some people seem to believe that having kids draw and color how they visualize novels is a horrible waste of time. Apparently, I am supposed to teach picture books or only books that have movies. Who knew? Not I. I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks, after all. So, now the students have a worksheet and will be filling in blanks. Oh, how exciting and creative for them.

I realize that it's afternoon, and I know there's a wine tasting about fifteen minutes from my house. Okay, that sounds good to me. I spend an hour sipping whites and reds and making friends with anybody and everybody, then hit CVS for things that I might need. I know, I know. I said I'd never go back to CVS, but, in my defense, it's a different store, and I want to see if my 25% coupon works. It does.

On the way home from the wine tasting, I drive past my favorite kayaking pond to see if I still have easy access with the redesigned parking area. I drove by a new pond on Thursday afternoon, so I am making a mental list of places to paddle and best access points. My kayak is a two-piece design, so I can't be anywhere that requires me to hike too far while carrying equipment. 

Back home I decide that it's too nice a day to work inside, but I can't work on my porch because I have to build two new plant shelf units. I can't put out the plant shelf units until I move my kayak. I can't move my kayak until I clear the winter sports equipment out of the trunk of the car. I can't clear the winter sports equipment out of the trunk of the car until I make room in the closet for the winter sports equipment. I can't move the kayak into the car, anyway, because there is a white unicorn chair taking up the back seat.

So, I do what any person who has too much work to do on a nice day would do: I leave the papers all over the place and start moving stuff around inside the house and hauling things out of the trunk of my car. Once everything has been changed over, I build the two plant shelf units and rearrange the porch. I work for a little while then redo the top shelf of the closet so I can put away my skates and snowshoes. I also have a new friend - a unicorn chair.

Time to do some more work for school. After all, there's a Red Sox game on the telly. I watch the Sox absolutely kill the Cubs. That is, until I decide that maybe I should go to the store since I have not shopped in two weeks. When I come home from the store, I eat dinner then wash dishes. After dinner, I decide to add more questions to the quiz I will be giving because why not. But wait. What's on television? A Bruins playoff game! Oh, well, that's important.

I still have my Ed Eval portfolio to finalize, there are about ninety essays to grade, and I have not yet completed the edits to the quiz. I may not have put in much time today, but I do consider the rest of my time well spent. It's one of the most productive unproductive days that I have spent in a very long time.