Sunday, July 23, 2023

SANGRIA SUMMER

 Apparently, it is Sangria Summer.

We blame the retirees at my work. If they hadn't started having all of those retirement parties, my coworkers and I wouldn't have started sipping sangria. This sangria craze started out as a welcome for the coming of summer. Then, summer arrived, and it started to rain. And rain. And rain more. Sangria became the salve to sip away the desolation and despair. When the sun finally comes back out (in September when we are back at our desks), sangria will be our celebration of survival, as well as a bolstering to the approaching clusterfuck.

There are two very good things about sangria. 

The first thing is that it is made with fruit. Fruit is healthy. When I go for my physical in a few weeks, I can truthfully say that yes, I have been indulging in lots of fruit this summer. Yessiree. The second good thing about sangria is that my palate for red wine is faulty. If I end up with a red that doesn't strike my fancy, or if I end up with a partial bottle of red that sits just a tad too long, I can always turn it into a lovely and refreshing and tasty red sangria.

So, go ahead and rain. Be crappy. Be sunny. Be a good day. Be a bad day. Wane away, summer. Bring on the nightmare of scheduling mishegas that summons in a new school year.

We are armed with sangria -- and we know how to use it.