Sunday, February 19, 2023

HOARDING, BASKETS, AND SOME NEW-FANGLED FURNITURE

 I ordered some furniture. 

I needed more storage options, and I decided to get some wooden shelves with wicker baskets. The pieces got excellent reviews and were on sale. Besides, there were no drawers nor cabinet doors to add this time, so it all looked pretty simple; even a directions-impaired person such as I might be able to build the stuff.

This is not my first foray into pre-fab furniture building, but, to be honest, at my age I am sick to death of trying to read directions or follow illustrations. I'm at the point in my life where even building bookshelves is too much damn trouble.

But, I took the leap. I ordered five pieces: two small end-table-type units, and three larger units. Yup. Go big or go home, right?


What is hilarious to me is that every time -- every single damn time -- I put the furniture together by hand and have to use leather work gloves to get enough torque to tighten the screws on this stuff. I have also invested in my own set of allen wrenches because I've built many things (bed frames, coat racks, etc.). If you ever find yourself in desperate need of some random and ridiculous size of allen wrench, I am your go-to person, believe me.

Anyway, I am almost done with the first piece of furniture when I think to myself, "Wow, this would be soooo much easier if I had an electric screwdriver..." And that's when I start vocally calling myself every kind of idiot known to mankind.

Why, you may ask?

Because I DO have an electric screwdriver. It's an attachment that goes on my battery-operated drill.



Gawd, I am a dope and a half. So, I continue putting the shelf units together, bit by bit, using the hand-driven screwdriver to secure everything loosely until all of the parts are properly attached. Then, I fire up the battery-operated drill and tighten those babies into submission. In a couple of hours, I have all five units built and all of the baskets (18 of them) assembled and settled.


The good news is that I now have much more storage for things like cribbage boards and card games and pieces to board games and chess pieces and all the stuff that I have had shoved into bins. My CD's (yes, I still have some) are organized now. The trickle down effects will free up space in the living room, the kitchen, and the bathroom, as well. 

It's a true win-win situation.

Except that . . . at this point in my life I should really be downsizing and getting rid of things. But, I suppose if I want to hoard record albums and Christmas music and Yankee candles and yarn (way, way too much yarn), then I suppose people can judge me when I'm dead. At least it will be organized chaos, and my beneficiaries won't have much trouble disposing of things in an orderly manner.