Sunday, July 17, 2022

TEMPTATION, THEY NAME IS FICTION

I know that I should be ashamed of myself, but I'm not.

I don't have any shelf space left in my apartment, and yet I am purchasing more books that I don't need. I have a Kindle full, and I do mean full, of books to read, so why on earth would I buy nine more books?

Well, remember last week when I complained about the Burlington Mall being a wasteland? This is where it all starts to go wrong, yet again. 

I need to go to Michael's Craft Store, Target, and CVS. I could go to New Hampshire, where I know the stores are large, clean, and well-stocked. But instead, I saunter back over to Burlington. It saves me from getting on the highway, and, truth be told, as I bypass the highway entrance ramp, an ambulance and firetruck scream by and head that very way. Also, the three stores I need are apparently all in the same strip mall (along with Panera and Total Wine, but I will not be distracted today).

I have a lovely drive, stuck in construction traffic and postal mail delivery traffic, but it's a wonderful summer day here in New England following an evening of not-so-wonderful weather, so my car windows are wide open and the air conditioner is on (don't judge me). 

I only need a couple of things at Michael's, mainly a basket or two. I search the tiny store, finally ask someone, and am somewhat shocked to learn they don't carry baskets. Say, what? I feel like I should contact the corporate office and ask them if an idiot runs this store. Instead, I leave dejected. I also leave my broken and empty cart in an aisle somewhere between the paltry ribbon display and the bridal display that has no bridal stuff.

I head into Target, which is about one-eighth the size of a normal Target. I actually find what I am looking for - one, count 'em, one basket that fits what I need. And, it's on sale! I find a couple of other things I need, actually shocked that there is stock worth perusing in such a compact space.

My trip to CVS consists of me walking in circles while a "40% off one item" coupon burns a hole in my pocket. There's nothing worth buying, and the lines are too long, anyway. So much for that coupon. 

I feel semi-successful. But, I am also feeling a little cheated, like I should've done more. I know the Used Book Superstore is on my way home, and it's on my side of the busy road. I have been tempted several times before, and I've even spent a substantial amount of money at the store, but I've kept myself out of there for months.


Not so today. (Didn't I say earlier that I wouldn't be distracted? I lied.) I pull right into the parking lot and enter the Used Book Superstore like a damn boss.

I spend a little time with the sale stuff, then I mosey over to fiction, my weakness. I attack those rows and rows and rows of shelves jam-packed with books before heading to the two carts of 99-cent books. I have to hit the westerns, too, and while checking out some Old West tales, I notice there's another room off to the side. It's a small room, maybe the size of a kid's bedroom, but it has stacks and stacks of more 99-cent books.

I am both proud and ashamed to admit that I bought nine books, one of which is three-in-one so technically eleven books, and three Christmas gifts. I spent just over $30. I know, I know; the very last thing I need is another book. However, after braving the wilds of Burlington's dying consumer industry, I figured I deserved a treat. 

Seriously, though, the books are probably healthier treats for me than ice cream. That's where I was leaning next until I ran out of cash at the book store. I guess that makes this more than an impulse stop: it's nutrition and mental health all packed into one.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.