Sunday, June 12, 2022

DISCO CAR WASH

Pollen.

It's ruining my life right now. Oh, it is much better than worm poop, but it's running a close second where my car is concerned. New Englanders are always happy around mid-April when we assume, sometimes incorrectly, that Salt Season has passed. 

But now -- the Green Curse from Hell.

I'm constantly sneezing, coughing, blowing my nose, wiping my water eyes. I have to sweep and resweep the porch over and over again, wiping the green and yellow and black dust off the furniture. 

The car, though. My poor car.

I spend an entire weekend without once moving my car. When I leave for work on Monday morning, the pollen residue is so thick that I can't see out of the front or back windshields. Normally, I am able to rid the dusty crap with a flick of the wiper blades. Not so this time. This time it is a muddy, disgusting, pasted-on mess. My only choice is to suffer through the embarrassment in the staff parking lot then head to the car wash down the street after school.


I usually avoid this car wash because the dryers don't work, so my car ends up with mottled spots, but I figure mottled spots are better than pollen. I notice, however, as I pull up to the automated gates (yes, two gates) that this car wash has been completely redone. 

I pull up to the gate where a human points slightly to the right (I am darn accurate at hitting the skids) then points to the flashing sign that says in lights and in a booming voice, "PUT YOUR CAR IN NUETRAL!" As my car rolls forward, I am suddenly assaulted with not only a sudsy car but disco lights through the watery haze.

At the car wash! Working at the car wash . . . Working at the car wash . . . yeah, yeah, yeah!

My gawd. It's like the 1970s all over again. There is a veritable ROY G BIV of excitement going on in here. I start having disco flashbacks. Ah, come on. Even those of us who were hardcore metalheads hit a disco a few times for the fun of it. Heck, there was a place in New Hampshire that had all four things a person could enjoy all in the same building: The disco room (where unusually old and hairy men hung out for some odd reason), the rock room (lots of drunk and high eighteen-year-olds), the country room (for those of us who could line dance -- not me because I'm uncoordinated), and the acoustic room if you actually wanted to hold a conversation.

So, here I am, going through the car wash, suddenly reliving my not-so-glorious glory days, all in the span of sixty seconds. I am please to see dryers have also been installed, albeit flashing and dinging like I'm being spit out of some giant watery pinball machine.

If you need the Jimi Hendrix experience with a little White Rabbit thrown in, I know a great place where you can do so without any lingering after-effects. Bonus -- your car gets washed at the same time!