Sunday, February 13, 2022

SO SWEEEEEET!

I love sweet potato fries. And not just a little. I mean, I loooooooove them. I love them so much that I ordered haddock at a restaurant recently because the fish came covered in sweet potato crumbs.  After all, the restaurant did not have sweet potato fries, and I had to have a fix.


Before you start telling me that they sell sweet potato fries as take-out orders in many places or even as frozen food at many stores, understand three things:  #1 = I am too lazy to get take-out most of the time; #2 = I despise grocery shopping almost as much as I despise having surgery without anesthesia; #3 = I am a mediocre (at best) cook. Okay, actually, I can and do cook -- I'm just lazy about that, too.

So imagine my great delight when I decide that the sweet potato I have in the wooden bowl might be better served as fries rather than microwaved with butter and salt. Yes, I decide to . . . (gasp) . . . COOK.

First things first, I find a recipe. Then, I completely ignore the recipe. That's right. I ignore the damn thing. Folks, THIS is why people always wanted to be my partner when I took chemistry in both high school and college: I sort of follow directions, and then I blow things up or set them on fire.

I cut the potatoes sort of the way they are supposed to be cut. Then, I toss them in olive oil. (That is the one part of the recipe that I actually follow.) Then, the recipe calls for a few seasonings, like salt and pepper and maybe a pinch of sugar to caramelize the edges a bit. Instead, I grab a lot of random spices: Onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and seasonings mixes of sweet basil, dried onions, and more. Then, I coat everything loosely with a touch of parmesan and some sugar.

Okay, I won't lie: It sounds like a sickly combination, but, to be honest, the dang things turn out great! They are addicting, and they're better than the restaurant fries. Yes, I am pleasantly surprised. 

However, much as I'd like to tout my success, I am disappointed that I neither blow anything up nor set anything on fire. As far as recipes go, I suppose this can be considered a good thing. 

As far as I am concerned, I am a little disappointed that I didn't need the fire extinguisher. I think my neighbors are, too, and I think the local firemen feel a little left out.  Either way, the sweet potato fries are a success, and I might even attempt to make them again soon. If you see flames shooting from my general neighborhood or hear sirens, you'll know it has been a success!