Sunday, February 20, 2022

EGG-CELLENT MORNING

 Apparently, I am becoming a food blog. 

Last week I focused on the homemade sweet potato fries that I concocted based on some random recipe that I found on the Internet. I rarely follow a recipe to its letter if I'm cooking (baking is a bit more precise, though) because, like my school chemistry experiments, nothing ever works quite right. More often than not, disaster looms.

This morning is no different.

I decide that I want an omelet. Easy enough, right? I know how to make omelets. I even have a microwave omelet pan for those times when I am too lazy to take out a fry pan. 


I'm not much of an egg eater, but there are times that I get on a roll. For a while last summer, I had to have a soft-boiled egg with bread cubes mixed in every morning. I am known to make scrambled eggs with enough spices to grow hair on your toenails. When I fry an egg, it's always over-hard because runny eggs are ONLY for soft-boiled eggs. Anything else is just disgusting. Okay, I'll also admit that I won't eat anyone else's egg salad except my own (Paprika? Anyone?).

Back to today's egg adventure. I don't have any bacon, so I'm leaning toward a simple cheese omelet. That is, until I open the fridge to get the eggs. Oh, look!  Ham! And here is some chopped red onion and half a tomato. Spinach! I can make a spinach omelet.

Before I know what's happening, I have the world's most over-stuffed two-egg omelet oozing all over my plate with cheese and veggies and some ham struggling to stay inside the actual omelet itself. It isn't pretty, and my omelet will not win any awards for its presentation, but it is utterly delicious despite its ugly demeanor.

I'm not ready to take on the world, and I doubt very much that any professional chefs are in danger of losing their television shows to my amazing culinary skills. I won't be winning any blue ribbons, that's for damn certain, but I won't end up in food jail, either. The best part of all of this experimenting means that if I accidentally burn down the complex with a misstep in my kitchen, at least I'll be well-fed while running from the fire.