Sunday, September 12, 2021

LIGHTING THE CHILL

My friend has lights in her living room. No, not regular lights, but she has those, too. I mean like Christmas tree lights. She has them strung up inside the recessed ceiling, creating this chill and interesting lighting when it gets dark. Between that and the twinkling lights of Boston out her floor-to-ceiling windows, the place is amazingly chill.

After a hellish few days at work where micro-management has been taken to apoplectic, atmospheric levels, I want chill in my life. I crave chill. I need chill.

I recently bought (and built) a pub-table area for guests and for working someplace other than my stationary desk-top mini-office area. The pub table area has a little mood lighting, provided by mini-lights in a wine bottle (courtesy of another friend), but it needed something more. Something . . . well, to be honest, something chill.

I have several strings of mini-lights from when I had small decorative trees all over the old townhouse. When I downsized, I got rid of all those decorations (except for the two I recently unpacked that I forgot about) and my Christmas tree. I still, however, have the lights. I happened upon some adjustable stick-on hooks, and, the next thing I knew, I was prepping under the counter and above the pub table area to simulate chill.

It may not be as interesting as my friend’s living room ceiling, but I spent hours working there today and have completely accepted that this is now the most chill space in the apartment. It has to be, and I know this because I used those hours to do work and I wasn’t even pissed off while I was doing it.

Maybe I should bring some of those lights to work and set them up near my desk. Can’t hurt. And if they don’t make me chill, I can always use them to whack people as they walk by. Got to be honest, there are some times when that would be totally chill, as well.