Sunday, August 22, 2021

ON HAVING A KAYAK

Rain, rain, go away . . . Truly, just go away.

No one wants a drought, but we would like to give up the ark building. It’s getting old around here. Now we have Hurricane Henri making an appearance, due here at any moment – maybe even by the time you read this.

However, I have an ace in my pocket until the rain stops. I have a kayak.

Most of my kayak plans are thwarted this summer by the weather or by my schedule, but predominantly it is the rain. I finally get a chance to get out on a decent-sized lake, but the forecast is iffy. Doesn’t matter. I drive up to the lake, anyway.

When I arrive, my friend and I decide that we should get right out on the lake before the weather turns. We kayak to the far end of the lake, and it starts to sprinkle. We keep paddling because the clouds are changing. First we get rained on, then we see rain in the distance to the left, then rain in the distance to the right. Other than the brief light shower or two, we manage to kayak the lake without many other weather-related interruptions.

As soon as we pull up to shore, though, the sky turns a mid-shade of gray. By the time we haul the kayaks out of the water and set ourselves up in beach chairs, it starts to rain. No surprise. I’ve come prepared, though. I have my sun umbrella, which can double as a rain umbrella.

After a ten-minute downpour, we are ready to go in the water and float around on inflated rafts. For a short while, until the anti-rain people return, we have the beach and water pretty much to ourselves and our small contingency.

So, rain – go away, or hang around, or do whatever you dang-well please because I, too, have decided to do as I dang-well please. Two can play at this game. You and Henri might be winning the battle this weekend, but just wait. My summer isn’t over yet, and I don’t give in that easily.

Besides, I have a kayak . . . and I know how to use it.