Sunday, August 8, 2021

I BUILT THIS

I am NOT handy. Nope. Not even a little. My idea of repairing something usually involves duct tape, Gorilla Glue, or the trash can.

When I get the urge to be “handy,” I buy a piece of furniture that needs to be assembled. After a mistake or two, I get it right, semi-right, or just darn right enough. Usually it takes me months to recover from a building project, mostly because it’s traumatic but also because it takes me ten times longer than a normal person to assemble anything. (Yes, this includes puzzles.)

I have recently purchased several things that need to be assembled: a bathroom linen cabinet, a computer table, an accent table, a drop-leaf table, a bookshelf unit, and two pub-style chairs. All of these items represent the great and unwavering faith that I have in myself, despite repeated failures and shortcomings in assembling furniture.

In case you think I am kidding, I have made one and one trip only to Ikea. Oh, I loved the store -- until I got to the warehouse part. Holy crap in a cookie jar! People actually assemble this stuff . . . voluntarily?! Are there really that many weirdos in the world that a store like this, a franchise no less, can flourish?!

You sick, sick bastards!

I am pleased to report that so far everything is assembled except for the bookshelf unit (I am still recovering from the drop-leaf table episode) and the two pub-style chairs (they’re in transit from the manufacturer). If you see an old lady covered in duct tape and Gorilla Glue wandering the streets aimlessly, babbling about directions no longer having words but only pictures, that will be me. Feel free to bring your drills, screwdrivers, and wrenches to my room at the asylum. I’m sure I’ll need some furniture there, too.