Sunday, February 7, 2021

BLACK ICE BALLET

Watch out for black ice!

Or, so my phone tells me. I try to be careful, but black ice is basically invisible, so it’s a little difficult. You’d think by now, though, after decades of living with and around black ice, that perhaps I would know how to behave with it.

This morning, before the sun has done its job, my front stairs are covered in a clear coating of icy horror. My son-in-law carries a package from my house, a box with some loose-leaf notebook paper for my daughter, who is taking some classes online.


Suddenly, and with a loud exclamation of “Oh, SHIT,” my son-in-law flies down all the ice-covered steps on his butt and back, sending the paper flying.

I hustle to his rescue, realize he might be hurt, pick up the box of paper so I don’t pollute the neighborhood with the wind blowing paper everywhere, and run to get my daughter to help.

That’s when I hit the patch of black ice in the driveway.

Again the box of paper catapults through the air as I gracelessly perform the two-step-slip-and-slide. My legs go to the right and I fall to the left, directly on my hip.

I can’t get up.

No, I haven’t busted anything, at least not to my immediate knowledge. I can’t get up because I am laughing too hard. I cannot believe what it must look like: My son-in-law sitting on the bottom step rubbing his lower back, and me, flopping around in the driveway like a fish out of water, notebook paper flipping around between us.

He is left with a bruised back and rear-end. I have a bruise on my hip, small cut on my knee, and road-rash on my left palm. No real harm done between us. However, we did entertain the neighborhood for a couple of minutes with our ice dancing fiasco.