Sunday, August 30, 2020

IT'S OVER

 


Summer's over.

I am depressed because I spent most of this summer wrapping up the remote school year and prepping for whatever might come this fall. I attended cyber meetings, answered emails, created documents, planned for three different possible school models, lost sleep, drank too much, ate too much, and worried myself into super-anxiety and sleepless stretches that lasted for weeks.

All for naught.

Nobody listens anyway. Nobody cares. I'm back to being the same pariah I've always been: somebody's overpaid babysitter.


So, please excuse me if I decide that the beach is more important than planning, or answering those after-hour emails, or updating my website because the link broke, or attending meetings that go well-beyond my contract hours. Please forgive me if I prefer not to bring the pandemic home to my family, friends, and neighbors. Please understand that my constant hand-washing and spraying of sanitizer isn't truly a direct reflection on my students or coworkers.

Totally wasted summer. If anyone really wants to reach me, follow the seagulls. I'm sure they'll laugh at you just as hard as they laughed at me last week when they knew, as do I, that it's over.