Sunday, June 21, 2020

YEAR-END LIFE CYCLE OF A TEACHER

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it,
And I feel fine.

Life of a Teacher at the End of the Year: True Story
  • After hours of calculating term #4 data (and still not finishing it), I fall asleep at my desk with the pencil in my hand.
  • I drag myself to bed at midnight (early) and sleep straight through until 5:30.
  • I look at the beautiful sunrise and think, "I should go kayaking early..."
  • I fall asleep again.
  • At 6:30 I am awakened by the same thought, "I should go kayaking before work and before the state park gets too crowded."
  • I promptly succumb to sleep yet again.
  • At 7:25 the alarm goes off.
  • I roll over and say out loud to no one in particular (okay, to me, I say it to myself), "Get out of bed, Bitch, you're missing the day!"
  • This is Hit the Wall time, kids, and it ain't pretty.
Fast-forward a couple of days:
  • Google Meet finally gets an update where I can see all of the students at the same time.
  • I try to do a Google Meet with each class on the last day.
  • Two classes in, it is obvious that this isn't working -- everything keeps freezing and I keep getting kicked out of my own classes.
  • Crash and Burn
  • At noon, I cancel my last two classes, announce that it is a true half-day, and tell everyone via email to have a fabulous summer.
  • At 2:00, the official end to my last day, I get into my car, drive directly to the liquor store, and buy myself summer ale and bubbly.
  • By early evening, I have cracked open a beer and a book. Summer is here.