Sunday, February 16, 2020

I SPY A NEED FOR DRAWING BOOKS

What starts as an innocent, mindless activity in my classroom somehow morphs into a daily game of I Spy.  Before Thanksgiving break, I decide to start drawing a winter scene on the whiteboard behind my desk, the board reserved for important notices like homework and upcoming assessments.  It starts with a turkey then turns into a holiday-type/winter scene.

In January when we return for the dog days of winter, I remove the turkey and Christmas tree and menorah and other holiday-themed stuff, and continue adding one new drawing every day as the countdown to February break approaches.  I think this is just my way to keep my mind of all the other crap happening at work.  You know, bring some color back into the dark, horrid days of dissension; keep a running count to the mental health break mid-February.

Instead of being my personal coloring calendar, though, it turns into a game.

At first I don't realize that the kids care what I am doing.  At some point in January, I notice that they are examining the board and challenging each other to figure out what I've added for that day.  Sure they notice the homework written there, but the true gazers are searching for something they haven't seen before.

At first I make the additions obvious: a pond with a skater, a large tree, Snoopy and Woodstock.  But as time goes on, I get devious: a flower, apples on the snowman, children (stick figures) lining up at school, birds in the sky.  It's fabulous fun to see if I can trick them.  "Nope, the penguin was last week.  Nope, the house was yesterday.  Nope, the snowboarder has been there for weeks."

I don't honestly know who's having more fun with this glorified game of I Spy - the students or the teacher - but the countdown is the best part of it all.  On Friday, the final day before the school's winter break and with my last class in attendance, I erase the board and clean it with spray and paper towels.  The kiddos are horrified as the entire scene comes down after four months of watching the board change and grow.

It's okay, though.  We have thirty-eight school days until April break once we get back from this one, days that will include grueling New England weather changes, academic open house, and state-mandated testing.  That means thirty-eight days of a new I Spy game ... easy the first week, progressively more difficult as we go.

Time to get some drawing books; I am in need of some fresh ideas for spring and beyond.