Sunday, December 15, 2019

I am thankful. Oh, I am also doing a lifetime's worth of praying.  I am on my way to the airport,  driving myself in this time, and the weather sucks.  SUCKS.  It is pitch-black outside, the roads are wet, and the street lines have faded.

It has been pounding rain, and I seem to have forgotten that hours upon hours of steady downpours mean the roads are like ponds.  I hit the first massive puddle less than a mile from home.  No worries.  I'll be on the highway soon.  Right?

Idiot. I am so focused on getting to the airport and finding my perfect spot (spitting distance to the door and parking pay station) that I forget about the water buildup on the shoulders of the road.

What a sight to passing cars if they could see me in the darkness: hands tightly clutching the wheel, wide eyes focused into nothingness,  teeth clenched, spewing a mantra that includes the words God, Jesus,  damn, oh, fuck, and motherfucker ... in no particular order.

I am not giving up! I am going to North Carolina come Hell or, well, high water.  So bring what ya got, Ma Nature.   You may be tough, but I am a nana on a mission.

Oh, and thank you muchly, by the way.  I will gladly turn my car into a glorified kayak to drive here.  It could've been ice or snow, so, much as my jaw is sore, I truly appreciate just rain.