Tuesday, August 28, 2012

MY BACK-TO-SCHOOL LIST


I went to set up my classroom a week ago, and I discovered twelve interesting developments while I was there: 

1.  Random furniture had been placed in my room for no apparent reason.
2.  The copy room was locked from the hallway access.
3.  The copy room was also locked from the teachers' lunchroom access.
4.  The hallway that used to lead to the mods is now a giant piece of wallboard spackled with a dirty cream matte finish.
5.  Getting the boxes of books down from the tall windowsill ledge was just as strenuous as getting them up there last June.
6.  I still don't have a SmartBoard, though everyone else does.
7.  My whiteboard has screws loose and almost fell on my head.
8.  The microwave I have been hiding for almost two years still works.
9.  I was smart enough to mark the box of cleaning supplies as "cleaning supplies" so I could find them in the fall.
10.  I was smart enough to mark the box of dry erase markers as "cleaning supplies" so I could hide them from sticky fingers.
11.  The construction zone outside my window is a giant mud bog.
12.  I have a perfect view of the workers' port-a-potties from my desk.

Here's how I dealt with each one of these interesting developments:

1.  I hauled the random furniture into the hall and put sticky notes with random teachers' names on every random item that I found.
2.  I swore at the locked copy room door from the hallway.  It did not swear back.
3.  I tried unsuccessfully to get into the copy room through the teachers' room and walked into the door twice when it didn't open as expected.  I did this in front of two construction workers who were having lunch.  They were highly entertained both times.
4.  I took measurements of the ugly wallboard and will either cover it or paint it when no one is looking, perhaps adding an inappropriate mural just to see if anyone notices.
5.  I dropped some of the boxes and they only landed on my foot three times.  Out of about thirty boxes, those are pretty good odds.
6.  I moved the destination for the Smartboard.  I will see if the IT people notice the new spot or put it in its original location, which is where I truly want it anyway.  They may or may not figure out that I'm just messing with them.
7.  I wrote on the whiteboard:  "This has a few screws loose … I know, I know.  There are about a million jokes in that statement.  Do NOT go there."
8.  I hid the microwave on a cart and bought an extension cord.  I will use it this year until someone catches me with it, but it must be red-handed; otherwise, deny, deny, deny.
9.  I found the cleaning supplies.
10.  I found the dry erase markers then re-hid them from our resident klepto teacher (two doors down).
11.  I wish I still had my big-ass Blazer with the monster tires.  I would have torn that bad boy right up.  There would be mud stuck to the second story when I was done.
12.  Binoculars.  And defogging spray for the lenses.

BACK TO SCHOOL
Believe me, kid, you're not the only one crying!