Sunday, September 17, 2023

STAY CHIPPER, MY FRIENDS

Sometimes metaphors happen.

I'm driving to work,
The upcoming day on my mind,
Meetings - emails - filing - data collection -
All kinds of useless cacophony taking place inside my brain.

A small dump truck pulls in front of me.
It's not really a dump truck dump truck.
It's one of those landscaping style trucks with six wheels.

It's pulling a trailer -
Not a big one;
One with a piece of machinery on wheels attached.
I take a moment and realize what it is:

A wood chipper.

Debris litters the intake chute, 
And the horrid metal gnashing gnawing mouthlike jaws
Laugh at me as I get closer to my destination,
Jeering me,
Lulling me into a false sense of security,
A Siren song of sadism,
Reminding me that work will 
Chew me up and
Spit me out
As sure as if a wood chipper awaits me at my desk.

Metaphors happen;
Sometimes the timing is unavoidable.