Sunday, April 2, 2023

LUCK OF THE IRISH

A couple of weeks late, but here is my St. Patrick's Day post. 

During the summer, I was in North Carolina for a few days. While there, my granddaughter and I were keeping ourselves occupied during her brother's sports practice, and we entertained ourselves searching for four-leaf clovers. Of course, we weren't likely to find them. In my whole life I think I've found one. It kept us occupied, and it provided a mystical, magical tale.


Fast forward to St. Patrick's Day weekend. I find myself back in North Carolina in a lovely neighborhood with many Irish-themed street names. We are out walking the neighborhood and spot several random patches of clover. Just for fun, the children stop and search for four-leaf clovers. It is, after all, St. Patrick's Day weekend. My grandson leans over and finds one. Then another. Then his sister finds one, as does their mom. 

Luckiest family ever!

I research this, though, Is there some ground cover that is four-leaf clover? You know, because I honestly cannot believe my own eyes here. There is some variation, native to Mexico, but it isn't this plant in front of us. This is just run-of-the-mill clover that is, apparently, amazingly lucky.

Well, we are on a street with a name that translates to the Irish Cill Chainnigh (Cainnech / Cainneach). I suppose this would be the weekend to share both our Irish heritage and the Luck of the Irish.