Sunday, August 28, 2022

PROVING MOTHER NATURE RIGHT, FOR A CHANGE


I made a passing reference to this in last week's blog post. I hate to be a Summer spoilsport, but it's coming, for real and without compunction. The color confirms it.

Oh, sure, we're about four weeks early, but I noticed some red in a tree the other day when I was in Blue Hill, Maine. Blue Hill is just over two hours north of Portland and is considered Central Maine, so not really up in the boonies that are north of the Canadian border's latitude. I also noticed some yellow leaves on the ground.

Okay, I told myself, it's no big deal. We're in Maine. Right?

Well, today clinches it. I am in Massachusetts, not too terribly far from the New Hampshire border, but still. I am minding my own business when all of a sudden I notice that one tree in a line of many has turned completely yellow. The rest are green, but this one mid-sized leafy tree has already completely transformed itself into Autumn mode. I look at the rest of the trees I happen to pass in my travels and notice that they, too, have smatterings of color, although not to the extent of that one lone tree.

I love Fall in New England. I'm certainly not going to lie about that. However, it's still hot and humid around here. What's the schtick? 

I suppose we can blame drought, but that usually means that the trees won't change color to any deep extent. If these early turners are any indication, I suspect that Mother Nature has a few tricks up her sleeve. She might defy the weather forecasters and put on a brilliant display this Fall. If I believe the early indicators, then I cannot argue with the changing colors and their glory.

I'd like very much to prove Mother Nature right for a change. Let's get this season on its way.